Someone Else Does Victim Behavior
How can I help another person pause and heal their pain so they can
refrain from engaging in victim behavior?
- The Situation: When others get their values violated and then
engage in victim behavior, their behavior often violates our values.
- To Be Effective, Pause: An effective values-based leader in
such a situation refrains from doing victim behavior by pausing. Then after
you pause, activate your empathy and do leadership counseling. Explore
other ways of expanding your thinking as needed.
- Practice Forgiveness: Forgiveness is one aspect of leading the
way to possible positive solutions to the destructive behaviors of others.
See the Forgiveness
Article for more information.
- Do Leadership Counseling with Empathy: Find out about the problem,
the values violations, the desired objectives and the values of the person.
This makes healing possible. (Use Leadership Counseling.)
- Find Solutions: Move the situation toward a multiple-win solutiona win for the other person, for you and for the organization.
To go back to the VBL Flow Chart, close this window