VBL Self Image Strategy
How can I use my own self image to prevent a cycle of negativity when
there is pain from values violations?
- 1. Problem Situation: Recall the situation where, in the past,
you have not performed positively and did not feel comfortable.
- 2. Situation Image: Make a visual image of the situation. Emphasize
the significant aspects of the situation, including people, objects and
- 3. Self-image: Create an image of yourself that represents
your true self, values and capabilities. Make it positive, inspiring and
motivating. Use whatever special effects you need . . . color, lighting,
sparkles, clothing and expressions can help. When you have the appropriate
image, it will remind you of who you really are: a person who can perform
superbly in the situation. Make the image independent of any particular
- 4. Check Image: Make sure all parts of you agree with the image.
- 5. Set Up: Make a big, bright, colorful image of the situation.
Then put a small, dark
- version of your self-image picture somewhere in the middle of that
- 6. Connect Self-image to the Situation: Make the self-image
grow larger, brighter and more colorful, covering the image of the situation.
Clear your screen. Then repeat four more times.
- 7. Evaluate Your Success: Picture the situation. Does the self
image come automatically? If yes, great! It will remind you to be your
best self and perform well. If not, go back to #5. Set Up and repeat the