What can I do to help another person's career and life in a significant
Mentoring supports someone by helping them with leadership development,
career planning and networking. This contributes to their success in the
organization and in life. Effective mentoring provides for the future of
the organization by developing future leaders who can carry on the good
work being done in the organization today.
What to do:
- Help individuals discover their values, visions, principles and
purpose How? By listening to their stories, ideas and dreams
of their future career aspirations (and any past and present problems).
- Encourage leadership development Do this through timely
conversations, appropriate stories and suggested developmental exercises,
tasks and assignments.
- Guide career planning Help the person's career by matching
three things: the person's skills & abilities, the person's main interests,
and what the organization needs.
- Networking Help the person create a network of key decision-makers
and influencers. Introduce the person to key people in your network of
colleagues and contacts.
- Feedback Provide accurate, timely feedback about their
To go back to the VBL Flow Chart, close this window