How can I help someone learn an important skill?
Coaching demonstrates specific skills to help someone learn how to master
those skills to accomplish a specific task or job. As a team of leaders
coaches each other, knowledge and skills expand as learning accelerates.
Everyone benefits. Effective coaching is patient, positive and encouraging.
What to do:
- Performance outcomes Agree on the expectation of performance
and the skills needed to achieve it, and how to measure competency and
- Tell an inspiring story Illustrate the value of mastering
skills in this situation.
- Demonstration Show the use of the skills in the situation,
for real or in a role play.
- Observation Observe the learner demonstrate the use of
the skills in the situation, for real or in a role play.
- Re-demonstration Again show the use of the skills, highlighting
key elements of the skills that need to be further refined.
To go back to the VBL Flow Chart, close this window