How can I help someone learn an important skill?
Coaching demonstrates specific skills to help someone learn how to master
those skills to accomplish a specific task or job. As a team of leaders
coaches each other, knowledge and skills expand as learning accelerates.
Everyone benefits. Effective coaching is patient, positive and encouraging.
What to do:
- Performance outcomes Agree on the expectation of performance
and the skills needed to achieve it, and how to measure competency and
- Tell an inspiring story Illustrate the value of mastering
skills in this situation.
- Demonstration Show the use of the skills in the situation,
for real or in a role play.
- Observation Observe the learner demonstrate the use of
the skills in the situation, for real or in a role play.
- Re-demonstration Again show the use of the skills, highlighting
key elements of the skills that need to be further refined.